This dish, simply put is a big bowl of comfort. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Looneyspoon cookbooks, but they have been around the block, more than once and I swear, every thing, which is a lot, that I have made from their cookbooks, has turned out great. I enjoy that they ingredients are all "normal" and that I usually have most, if not all the items on hand to throw together for good and solid meal. It's become one of my major go to cookbooks!
Just a Note: This dish has a longer cooking time, so be sure to a lot enough time for it in your planning.
1lb Pork tenderloin
1tsp Olive Oil
1Cup Onion, chopped
1/2Cup Celery, chopped
2C Mushrooms, chopped
1Cup Zucchini, sliced
2tsp Garlic, minced
2Cups Sweet Potato, cubed
Large (28oz.) can of diced tomatoes
1 5.5oz. Can tomato paste
1/4tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1/4tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1tsp Ginger (I didn't have fresh to shred, so I used dried)
1/4Cup Fresh Cilantro, minced
- I enjoy prepping everything ahead of time, when I can be organized. Begin by chopping all your veggies and putting them aside in bowl together with others that will be added at the same time. Once all your fresh items are ready, use the same cutting board to cut your pork tenderloin into 1 inch pieces. (This is a personal approach of mine, to cut down on dishes. I also love that after the veggie bowls are empty all they need is a good rinse and dry.)
Once your ingredients are all prepped, heat your olive oil in a large pot over medium-high, I like my large dutch oven for this dish, as it's lid comes in handy during the longer cooking steps.
Add the cut up pork and stir until all the pieces are browned.
- Add the onion, mushroom, garlic and celery and continue to cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until the veggies start to soften.
- Next, add the can of diced tomato and tomato paste, stir to combine.
- Add your salt, pepper, pepper flakes, cumin, ginger and oregano.
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Lower temp to a simmer, and place the lid on. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring every so often.
Add your Zucchini and sweet potato, stir to combine and place the lid on again for another 30 minutes.
- Once your sweet potato is soft and edible, add the fresh cilantro, stir and serve!!